Monday, 30 July 2012

Review: The Love of my Life - Louise Douglas


The Love Of My LifeThe Love Of My Life by Louise Douglas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I liked this more than I thought I would. It was an Amazon cheapy (under £1) so I thought I'd give it a go.

Olivia turns up at her sister's house in tears after leaving her in-laws' restaurant. Lynette, her ever faithful older sister, tucks her in to bed and asks no questions. Later, she gives Liv a laptop and suggests that she right it all down, and this is the novel.

We are presented with two timelines - the teenage Liv and the development of her romance with the gorgeous Luca, and the adult Liv, reeling from the sudden and unexpected loss of her husband, trying to deal with her grief.

Liv and her brother-in-law, Marc, find solace in each other's arms. Each is all the other has left of Luca and neither is ready to let that go.

As the story progresses we find out why Angela (her mother-in-law) and Nathalie (sister-in-law) hate her so much and we follow Liv to acceptance and eventual healing.

The story could have been very heavy handed and overly sentimental, but it's not. We follow Liv through her grief, but we're not made to wallow in it. I enjoyed the development of the story and wanted to find out what she had done that was so bad. The conclusion was satisfying and the story interesting enough to keep me turning pages.

Possibly a little heavy for poolside reading, but enjoyable nonetheless.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book or any other good books lately? If so let me know what you think...